Monday, July 14, 2008

Sense and Sensibility Review

I liked the book. My problem was why would Edward risk everything, family and money for Lucy Steele. He left everything for awhile but luckily came to his senses. But during that time his mother disinherited him( Edward),Lucy ended up marrying Edward's brother. But, then Edward's brother, who was the favorite ended up marrying Lucy. So how his mother forgave him. That did not seem fair. Why was it all right for Edward's brother to marry Lucy, but not Edward. It seemed that the brother did the same thing but was forgiven by the mother.
The book club members seem to feel because of name and honor that was more precious to him. Than anything else. Now a days, we do not keep our end of the bargian. Engagements are broken all the time.
I did see the movie Sense and Sensibility. I really liked the movie. It seems that I would not have liked it if I did not read the book.
Well on to our next book, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have 2 other books to finish before I start it. I am reading Septembers of Shiraz and In The Time of Cholera.
I have been reading other blogs all week. I have also been asking other bloggers to add me to their reading blog. Which most of them did. It will be interesting to see if I get any kind of traffic soon.
I am also going to start a virtual online book club. If anyone is interested, check it out on ning.com.
Thats about it so I am signing off for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading *The Septembers of Shiraz* also; I'll check back for your review.

Anonymous said...

hello! Saw you on book blogs.

I love Sense and Sensibilty! I agree that in this day and age commitment means nothing.

Edward was an honorable man. Breaking off engagements in that day was scandelous. It probably would have destroyed Lucy's prospects for marriage. Not that hers were high anyway. Not to mention in that time engagements were still considered more as a betrothal. Anyway hope you can stop by for a visit!!