Friday, October 14, 2011

Book Review: Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt




Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt
By Beth Hoffman


Cee Cee, is living in Ohio. She  is a 12 year old young girl. She has to grow up fast because of her mother's psycotic ways.  Her father, is rarely around for Cee Cee.

Her mother, Camille struts in  to town most days in a tiara on top of her head and her old prom gown that she wore in a pagent in 1954.

When Cee Cee was small  she did not know any better. She appreciated her mother's eccentric and crazy behaviors. But, as Cee Cee became aware of her mother's crazy behavior, she became aware that her mother was not normal.  Her father conviently left town when things got tough for Cee Cee.  Cee Cee was forced to grow up fast, and to learn to develop a tough skin, because of the gossip, and humiliation, and embarrassement her mother caused.

Her only friend was Ms. Odell, the elderly next door neighbor. She always watched over Cee Cee, giving her hugs, and grandmotherly advise. Her other escape was reading, she loved to escape into books.

One afternoon, her mother decides she wants to walk into town with her usual attire, her tiara and her colorful prom dress. Unfortunately, she is hit by a car.

Her father realizes, he can not raise Cee Cee. He decides the best thing, is for her to live with her Aunt Tootie, in Savannah Georgia.

Aunt Tootie, is a elderly, wealthy, and eccentric woman. Cee Cee meets Aunt Tootie's friends and neighbors. All of them are colorful and eccentric, and a bit off.

Cee meets her Aunt Tootie's housekeeper, Oletta Jones, her neighbor, Mrs. Goodpepper, and the town hussy, Mrs. Hobbs.

Her Aunt Tootie's housekeeper, Olletta Jones, is a godsend for Cee Cee. She finally learns to live, laugh, and have fun, and learn life lessons from all these colorful characters. Cee Cee has a entire summer to learn these life lessons.

My Review: I would like my readers to know that this novel was not sent by a publisher, but borrowed from the library. I truly did not know what to think about this small novel at first. I usually don't read books about coming of age. I am glad I read, Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt, I loved it.

Reading a story about a young girl coming of age from the south, in her perspective was refreshing.  This book blew me away. I just loved the small little tidbits of wisdom, Mrs. Odell and Oletta gave her.

There were tears, laughter, joy, and heartache, I felt for Cee Cee, and all the quirky characters. Especially at the end, was all those mixed emotions.

Aunt Tootie had the garden party.  It all came to a head, a confrontation between Mrs. Goodpepper, and Mrs. Hobbs, the town hussy.

  I could see all these upper class  ladies tongues wagging with gossip, and gawking at the spectcle.

The entire book, I was cheering on the side lines for Cee Cee.  Cee Cee was haunted by her
mother's illness, and her past, but with the help of these women she was able to finally let go of her mother's past, and heal emotionally. With all these women chararcters giving her love, support, and encouragement along the way, especially Oletta, Cee Cee was able to let go and move on.

The book was a fun and great read, I recommend it highly.  I am going to spread the word, and recommend our book club to read it.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I loved this book too!

Irene said...

I've had this on my list TBR for some time and just keep putting it aside. I'm so glad you've piqued my interest again.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I loved this book as well! I adored CeeCee and Oletta.

Beth Hoffman said...

What a lovely surprise! Thanks so much for your wonderful review of my novel. Oletta and CeeCee are waving hello from the kitchen!

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I borrowed this from my grandmother but I haven't read it yet. Glad you liked it!