Monday, March 12, 2012

Book Club Discussion

We had our book club meeting this afternoon. My girlfriend Amy was the one to pick Amy and Isabelle.  We have a few ladies that are much older, than us and are observant religiously.  They are in their 70's and 90's. They were very harsh in judgement of the authors style of writing. My friend was upset that they judged the book so harshly.

I explained to her that just because it is a "BAD" book. It lead to a awesome book discussion. Not everyone is going to like the same book. That is why we have book clubs to discuss books we would not ever read before.

   They could not see her as a literary award winner. I told them her novel was picked by Oprah many years ago. I personally think the two ladies did not like it because of the subject matter of the teacher and student. They were appalled.

.  These things are not talked about openly among women at that age. My mom is in her 70's. What's funny she can watch a violent movie, but is appalled by a movie that has any hint of sex. I still remember  a movie my mom and I and a few friends went to . My friends are a bit older, but they are ok with a little skin. But, not my mom.  She walked out. To me, I am middle age and I did not even think about it. 
We respect their critique of the novel. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Books are different for everyone.

                                                Discussed at the meeting

The older women did not like the descriptive writing of "SEX".  We had to explain, this is a teenage girl talking about this, back in the 1960's.

We also observed that the mother was very jealous of the young daughter's youth, sexual desires, and her friendships. Being a single mom and not being able to have fun, and being a responsible adult.

  Her relationship with her daughter reminded me of lots of kids having relationship problems with their children now.

She isolated herself, kept to herself when she and her daughter moved to their new home and job.  Because she was a single mom, she wanted to keep her secrets.
 She fantasized about her boss, and his wife's relationship.   The treatment of her, after her boss found Isabelle's daughter in the car.   Toward the end he forgot he was invited to Isabelle's house for cake and dessert.  Isabelle was devasted.  Isabelle went head over heals to prepare for her boss and his wife a after evening dessert and coffee.

Isabelle was jealous of her lost youth. How women were treated when working, vs. the stay at home mom.  In the factories, women had different status, from the factory workers, secretaries, bosses, etc.

 We brought up about during that time it was not talked about teachers having sexual relationships with students back in the 1960's. This did happen but swept under the rug. I did not know this, and either did many of the other members.  It was swept in the closet.  One of our members was a retired teacher and she told us many things happened we did not know about back then.   If you recall rape, harassment, guns, were never discussed these are the things that were kept hush- hush in the 60's.

Our next couple of books are as follows:
For April we are reading Faith by Jennifer Haigh. I recommended this one.  I already posted my thoughts on this book here. I  miss our original meeting place, a coffee shop/ used book store. But, they closed.
We are so spread out in different locations of the Grand Strand anyway. But, I still miss it.  We are going to be meeting at a bagel shop I found out about called Crave Bagel? Love the name.
 I just went in to the shop last month, to check it out. Because the place I was going to choose closed. The owner gave me samples to try, and the topper she loves book clubs and wanted to know what book we were reading. I asked her to join us. We'll see.
Room by Emma Donoghue to discuss for May.
June to discuss Death Comes to  Pemberely by P.D. James.

That wraps it up, until next time.

No comments: