Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jane Eyre: Book Club Meeting


We had our book club meeting a couple of weeks ago. I did not have time to post till now. 
I had invited my friend, Dan Ennis from Coastal Carolina University to our book club. We decided to make it a pot luck lunch with a tea. 

How did it turn out you ask? I have received so many compliments after the book club.  I was pleased everyone enjoyed themselves.  Where do you hear that people enjoy themselves at a book club??? LOL!!!

Did I feel good after!

It was a wonderful, the discussion was lively with lots to talk about. We learned so much about Charlotte Bronte and her family. Can you imagine living with a entire family of literate's. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall.  Everyone critiquing each others work. 

The other things we discussed, is that Jane Eyre was written as a autobiography. There is so much in Jane Eyre that was connected with Charlotte, and her family. 

In the time when Jane Eyre was written writer's were just starting to write novels as we know it. Most authors were experimenting with writing style.  Most writers were still writing letters to make stories. 

There are lots of references of books, and the reading community in Jane Eyre. FYI. I never knew that.  In the movie, Jane Eyre, I don't remember Jane picking up a book. But, when Professor Ennis was presenting, we learned some interesting things about reading and Jane Eyre. 

It was mentioned on another blog don't recommend reading a classic for a book club it doesn't work. I don't agree.  Jane Eyre works because there are many things to discuss. But, one reason, was said the books tend to be dry. Which is true, we don't have to be literary genius's though, to discuss the book. 

Maybe some people don't realize this. I have a couple of my friend that belong to this book club. I am going to share a idea with you. Because one of my friend is not a literary person, she reads books for social, not the intellectual conversations. 

What she did she recommended buying a modern version of the book, Jane Eyre. I did not realize there was such a thing.  For some of you, that are not in to the classics. This is something that you may want to consider if you do pick classics. I find this is a good idea. It gets people to read, no matter if it is the original or not. 

The other thing I want to say about books and movie adaptions.  Books are so much better than the movies. I get so tired of people saying they don't want to read it, because they have seen the movie.  Like Jane Eyre, there was never mention of books, but in the book there was. I find people have this preconception and bias because of a movie.  People are so set in their ways, and their comfort zone.  They will never have a chance to experience good books that way.  This year, coming up, we are going to possibly read, Frankenstein. Already, preconceptions. There is literary merit to Frankenstein. This exactly what I am talking about. 

I am sorry, I went off topic, but I wanted to get this off my chest. This is my book blog and I have free reign. I would love to hear what you also have to say about my two rants.






No comments: