Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Book Review: Killing Kennedy






Killing Kennedy
By Bill O'Reilly
       and
Martin Dugard



The day JFK was shot, was November 23, 1963. I was only 4 yrs. old. But, I can still remember, what I was doing.  It is odd that a 4 yr. old can remember where she was, and what she was doing.   I remember in the basement on the coach.  I think I was alone with the televised procession, of open horse and carriage casket,  over and over again. Why should I remember this? Isn't it funny, how we remember certain things like this at a young age.  Or tragic things occur, we can remember.  It is like 9/11 I recall where I was and what I was doing.  But, that is another story.

I read Killing Lincoln, last year for our book club. I enjoyed reading about this part of history. I did not know much  of the details. Watching Stephen Spielberg's movie about Mary Surratt, was so interesting. For some reason in history class I did not know there was a conspiracy.

 Was I paying attention?      Did I loose interest?     Or was it not brought up in class? All I knew was about John Wilkes Booth killed him in the Ford Theater  I don't remember a conspiracy was brought up. I don't know why, I don't remember it. I am sure that would have perked our interest. I don't know why I don't remember that discussion.   For that reason, I loved Killing Lincoln

.I think he chose to write about Kennedy, because of the connection of Lincoln. I wish Mr. O'Reilly was more creative and found another subject that was more interesting with new information.  Killing Kennedy, was not the book.

 Why would someone write about the same things that were already  known?  This would be a good book for the teenagers that don't know much about JFK. But, for our generation we already knew, about Jack and the PT-109, we knew about his loves,  the mafia connection, mob bosses, Frank Sinatra, and Marilyn Monroe, and his father, and his brother Bobby's influences,  Russia, Communism, the Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis, Hoover.  We also knew about his health problems, and his wife, Jackie influences on American Women, LBJ, and the start of the Vietnam War.  And of course about Onassis, the Greek tycoon.

  The parts of the book I did like was why the name of Camelot. What happened to each person at the end of the book.  There are resources and references to find more info, such as youtube watching Jackie Kennedy's famous White House Tour and more at the end of the book.  You can read much about Kennedy here, at his website.

  I would have liked to learn a definitive answer why Oswald shot Kennedy. There was a mention of getting on the radar of the FBI. Folks, if you are going to write a book tell us the why, how, when, and who were responsible to put the 2 and 2 together. These are only theories.

 I don't know what I was expecting. Perhaps it is because I lived, and experienced this part of  history. Most of it was either known to me, or we learned later. Unfortunately, I lost interest after the first 100 pages.  But, I still read it, because of our book club.  One thing, I will say if it was on another subject I would have enjoyed reading. Because I did love his writing style.

I belong to a blogger community. One of the questions that was posed today. What kind of book draws you.  My answer is, and most of the other book bloggers was the same thing.  I want to learn something new. Once I learn this is not new to me, I get bored.  I only finished the book because of the book club.

I think he chose to write about Kennedy, because of the connection of Lincoln. I wish Mr. O'Reilly was more creative and found another subject that was controversial. I hope he does next time. But, unfortuately I learned his next subject has been written about in movies, and TV.

  I felt like this was a waste of money to buy this book.   If he would have wrote another book on a different subject that I was unaware of  in  history. I am sure I would have liked it.   Because I did enjoy his journalistic writing style.   He's next venture is Jesus.  I definitely  will not read that. Because I have read so many books, and seen so many movies on this subject I am sure I will get bored.

No comments: