Monday, October 22, 2018

A Spark of Light: Book Review








A Spark of Light
By Jodi Picoult
Purchased copy





I love all of Jodi Picoult's novels. My favorite of all her books is, Small Great Things. Her novels are usually controversial. They are favorites of my book club. As, you can probably imagine. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one.

A Spark Of light, the title of the novel is interesting. I learned something new. I was a nurse years ago. I didn't know. I am sure the Christians who don't believe in abortion are going to use what I say, as ammunition. But, here goes. Scientifically, scientists have proof that at conception a spark of light bursts. Scientists just learned this recently.

In modern day Mississippi, in a women's reproductive clinic. It is a normal morning they all think. The protestors are out greeting the women that come through the door of the  clinic. The time frame is one day. It starts at 5 PM, and goes back each hour backward each chapter till 6 AM.

There are several characters, there is a protester, a woman coming for an abortion, a doctor, nurse, administrator, a daughter of a police officer getting contraceptive, and her aunt. To name a few of the characters. Then,  a gunman walks into the clinic and kills, and wounds, and takes hostages. Unbeknownst to the gunman a teenage girl, and her aunt, are related to the hostage negotiator. It is a show down for hours what is going to happen. What each person's view of women's health,abortions, pro-choice, etc.

My Review:  Of all the books I have read by the author. This one I didn't particular care for.  BTW, my favorite novel so far is Small Great Things. Which was published last year. Flash- backs would have worked. The chapter went back one hour. It was difficult to keep the characters straight in your head. But beside each time you wanted to become connected with the characters. You couldn't because it went to the hour before. There wasn't any intensity, or page turner. As you already knew what was going to happen in the first chapter. I really wanted to like the book because of the subject matter.  

I am not sure if our book club will want to read A Spark of Light. It is graphic, and  may be too controversial. I usually love books on social justice, equality, and women's health. So this tells you something. I was very surprised by the author's writing style. I have never read books like this before. I would think it doesn't work well with most people. I understand the author doesn't want to give it in small pieces to digest. But, it didn't work this way for me. Like I said, flash backs or different characters at each chapter. I think would have built the momentum, and the intensity. The book for me was disappointing, and a waste of $30 for me. 












No comments: