Friday, May 31, 2019

The Gown: Book Review







The Gown
By Jennifer Robson
ARC from Harper Collins









I picked The Gown after an ARC came to my mailbox for our book club. Our book club will be discussing the book in June.

 It was ironic I picked the novel before Prince Harry and Princess Meghan delivered their first child.  We have been reading very serious books lately. I wanted us to read something a bit lighter. I enjoyed reading, The Gown. The book if you think is about Princess Elizabeth you will be disappointed. The book is about the relationship of two ladies that worked at the famous fashion house called Hartnell. The fashion house was picked by the monarchy to make Princess Elizabeth's gown.

The book drew me in from the first page. It has fashion, mystery, suspense, and romance rolled into one. In 1947 after the war, when England and Europe are picking up the pieces. English monarchy has a wedding to plan for their daughter, Elizabeth, and Phillip. The monarchy decides to use the fashion house, Hartnell. The book starts at present in 2016. Something is left for Heather by her Grandmother. Heather picks up and leaves for England. To find out what the connection is to her Grandmother and the gown.

I picked The Gown hoping it would be light reading. Getting away from WW2, and the Holocaust. Wouldn't you know? One of the characters was a camp survivor. But, luckily it wasn't heavy-handed.

The story is divided from past and present. Also divided by the three people, Anna, Mariam, and Heather. I think the author did a wonderful job setting up the book and the writing technique that kept you captivated to almost the end of the book.  I always check out books after I read. To research and find out the actual events, and people. 📚

The best part of the book was the description of the Cathedral, the wedding ceremony, the description of the gown. I could actually feel like I was there.👰

SPOILER ALERT

The two characters Anna, and Miriam are not real characters. My cyberfriend was so upset about it she let me know how she felt. I agreed. After I post I'm certainly going to do research on the fashion house, the gown, and the seamstress that is mentioned in the book. Now, Betty Foster is real. She did work at the fashion house. At the end of the book the author has a Q\A.

 I don't want to set up the story because I'm afraid I will spoil it for you.

I don't usually read women's fiction, or a beach read. I think the book had more meat to it than other novels that are called Women's fiction. I was fascinated and loved the book. Perhaps more so because I love historical fiction, specifically, British. Also, I was watching the Netflix series, The Crown in my head while reading. I haven't watched the third season yet. So, here is my excuse.







No comments: