Sunday, November 24, 2019

Diamond Doris:Book Review






Diamond Doris
By Doris Payne
Harper Collins
Review copy





+++++++++SPOILER ALERT++++++++++++++++++++++++
Doris Payne was born poor in the coal mines of Va. during the depression of the 1930s. She lived in the house with her parents, and her brothers and sisters. Unfortunately, she lived a hard life as she was growing up. Her father was abusive to her mother. Doris adored her mother and would do anything to protect her mother from her father. She had decided she would do anything to get her mother, and her brothers and sisters out of the house.

Her mother told her if she received good grades in school. She would buy her a watch. Ahead of time, Doris went to the local jewelry shop to look at watches.

The Jeweler was a nice man and treated her very nice. But, as soon as a white man came into the shop his attitude changed. Doris was angry, mad, and never forgot it. This was the turning point for Doris. She still had the watch on as she walked out of the store.  A few minutes later she came back into the shop.

 She advertised to the owner of the shop, and the other gentleman. " I realized I walked out of the store with the watch. You forgot to take it off of my wrist. Since then, it was the life of a jewel thief after that.  She observed, and learned the way of the business. How to confuse the shop owners. Who didn't realize she stole a piece of jewelry until it was too late.

She lived the high life for almost 40 years, in Europe and the United States. Was investigated and brought in by the police,( local and foreign), and the FBI. She never stayed in jail long. Learned different ways to con, or escape jail.

When I first learned about the book. I was fascinated by the synopsis. But unfortunately, the book didn't keep me focused. I am sure the author, and the editors thought to keep it to Doris's voice rather than a crisp writing style that was polished. For me, it just didn't keep my attention. I felt some of her life was a bit far fetched, and unbelievable.

Perhaps also, I saw the documentary on her life while reading. Which most likely ruined it for me. I understand they will be making a movie very soon. Perhaps the movie will be better.

The book is not just about the biography of Doris Payne. But the culture of bigotry, and racism growing up and still is a problem in our society today. Doris Payne has guts and gumption. But I just didn't like her attitude. Even still today, she doesn't feel remorseful for what she did. Was it worth it? At the age of 80. She has no money left. She has no resources. She is living in a housing project to help reform criminals. It is pretty sad that is the kind of life she has left in her old age. I am hoping that others will realize this is not the kind of life you want to live. Hopefully, they will find another way.













 photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: