Monday, February 10, 2020

Supreme Ambition












 Supreme Ambition was a difficult read. Especially because I was reading at the same time as the impeachment hearings. With the same exact result as the Kavanaugh hearing. Trump plays the victim to his base. Just like last year, his popularity exploded

.I have read Ruth Marcus's posts for years. When I learned she was writing a book, I was excited. I learned the book was about Brett Kavanaugh. I wasn't so certain I wanted to re-hash the Brett Kavanaugh hearings. It wasn't just about the controversy. She wrote about the Republican agenda. Appointing Republican judges for the past 30 years. About the dark money, lobbyists, think tanks, and Super-Pacs. One of the largest groups, The Federalist's Society was the biggest influential groups for the nomination of supreme court justices, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh. President Trump has packed so many new, young judges for the Republican party. He's actions will be with us for many generations to come. There has never been a president that was able to pack courts as much as Trump. Our previous President(Obama)wasn't allowed to appoint a supreme court justice. This was by choice of the majority leader in the Republican party. The actions of the Republican party is a threat to our democracy. That is why Supreme Ambition is such an important book to read.

The writing is an oral narrative. There are at times humor plugged in. To make it not too dry to read.  It is easy to follow.  What was goings-on behind the scenes of both parties at the hearing. What happened at the hearing that Blasey-Ford, Feinstein controversy. Why Sen. Feinstein didn't tell Senator Grassley earlier. The earlier part of the book was interesting and new to me. But the middle which was about the hearing. I didn't want to re-live that part of history. Small bits and pieces behind the scenes I wasn't aware of.

I was very angry at the heat of the moment. Now, that it is a year later. I can look at it objectively. My thoughts are a bit different. Yes, I think something happened. But, is it right to judge a person in high school, and college on bad behavior? I can see if he had bad behavior as an adult. But, that wasn't brought up. Instead, the Senate, and cable news focused on his younger years. Yes, it was wrong. But her thoughts were sketchy. I can relate to what happened to her. As a young person. I was attacked. Can you judge someone and ruin their career based on something that happened a long time ago? People do change. In his court, many young ladies had giving glowing reports working for Brett Kavanaugh. I based that on all the information I was given.




 photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: