Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Wow!, Powerful Read: Just Mercy





Just Mercy
Bryan Stevenson
My copy

Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson, is the most difficult, and powerful book I have read in my lifetime.

Mercy is just and when it is rooted in hopefulness and freely given. Mercy is most empowering, liberating, and transformative when it is directed at the underserving. The people who haven't earned it, who haven't sought it are the most meaningful recipients of our compassion.-Bryan Stevenson, Just Mercy

 I used to read only fiction. But, in the last few years, I have been wanting to read books on social justice. I actually wanted to find a social justice book club either online or real-time without success. Just Mercy was supposed to be discussed for our book club in May. then our book club was at a standstill for a few months. I was hesitant to try Zoom. But, then we didn't meet for three months. Finally had to put my foot down, and say, we have to do it. Last month we finally met. Zoom was so easy, why was I so afraid??! We will be meeting in July. It was just a coincidence that the police protests were happening at the same time.

The only reason I am hesitant for our book club to discuss the book is because of the politics. But, I feel this doesn't have to be political. After reading the book I see our prison, and justice systems are unfair. Where have I been? under a rock? I will get to that later. 

Just Mercy is the true account of one lawyer trying to fight the unfair justice system, in Alabama. You say, unfair, what are you talking about? in the U.S.? How could that be? Well, it is unless you work in the courts. And see first hand what goes on. You wouldn't believe what goes on trial after trial. The unfairness of the judicial system when it comes to racial prejudice. Bryan Stevenson has been fighting for death row inmates for a very long time.

Bryan is an American lawyer, social justice activist, founder of the Equal Justice Initiative. Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative is responsible for building the Legacy Museum: From Enslavement to Mass Incarceration, in Montgomery, Alabama. And The National Memorial for Peace and Justice. 

 He has defended several black men convicted wrongly by the corrupt justice system. Which one Black man, Walter McMillian was wrongly convicted and served jail time for about 5 years in Monroeville County, Alabama, and then released.  It is the same place as the setting for the novel, To Kill A Mockingbird.  Which the community is proud of( how ironic). He was featured on 60 Minutes which you can watch on Youtube here. You will get a sense after watching it how unfair our courts are.

He also defended Ray Hinton. The case of a Black man serving time on death row for 16 years. He was wrongfully convicted, again by corruption. it depicts how unfair our courts are. But, the real deal is reading the book. You can watch the movie. But, the movie pretty much follows the book. I would recommend the documentary by HBO, True Justice.

Just Mercy is a very powerful and hard read to digest. It shows how racism still goes on in our country. I was so angry after reading Just Mercy as a white person. I had assumed that there was equal justice for everyone. Just Mercy opens up many wounds. It doesn't just ask the question about death row inmates, and prisons, and the justice system. But also answers the question about racism and how it plays a part in our country, and justice, and equality in our constitution. It unravels everything I was taught. Why? I was the type of person that didn't question anything. I took everything for granted that everything was Just.  the justice system is unjust for anyone who is poor and powerless. It makes me see things differently now. And opened my eyes without blinders on. I will not take things for face value again.

What is despicable, What happens to the ex-death row inmate. Do the courts apologize? Those lost years can't be given back. If the justice system wrongly convicted someone will the courts compensate them? No, in most states they can't compensate them for time served. But, in some states, the courts are accountable and compensate the ex-prisoners. 

My question is how can this be. How did our government do this? How did our society as Americans have no compassion, and a just society? It makes no sense. We as an American society are hypocrites! We are telling? other society what to do(eq. human rights in China). But, here back home. We don't look at our own backyard!!!! How can a corrupt court, the police system convict a person and know they changed the evidence to convict them wrongfully. How can they do this, and sleep at night? I sure couldn't. All people are human, not just White people. How can you do that to another human being? All because they are black?! Why such hatred just because of the color of their skin! In the USA, I was appalled voting rights were taken away during Obama's administration. And this is OK?

I recommend Just Mercy to read. Or if you are not a reader see the movie with the same name. Just Mercy. had a large impact on me. I don't think I will ever forget it. I still think about it weeks later. We, We The People are in for reckoning in our country when it comes to equality, justice. We must fight what is right from the grassroots. Yes, we are protesting. But, now we must put policies in place. Thank you, Bryan Stevenson, for writing, Just Mercy. The book was written some time ago. It is very relevant now.


 photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png


.

No comments: