Friday, August 21, 2020

The Lost and Found Book Club- Its A Keeper


                                                               The Lost and Found Bookshop

                                                                           By Susan Wiggs

                                                                      Purchased copy

 If you are anything like me, you like books. The book was like going into your favorite candy store, but books. That is always how I feel about books. The authors are the same way, rock stars It is a love story, and tribute to the book, and booksellers( independent). It is a dream for book lovers like me.  I would recommend the novel by, Susan Wiggs. The Lost and Found Book Shop.  My reading experience has been different since the lockdown in March. Broadening my change of genre has me enjoy reading again. I would never have read before. Which include women fiction, romance, Rom-Com, etc. You see I am a literary snob! I never dreamed my tastes would evolve. But, a surprise to me, they did. I never understood how many women my age would start reading women's fiction.

 I have been having a difficult time concentrating, and being distracted. Lately, I was thinking of reading a beach read, or women's fiction. Then low, and behold I decided to read the novel, The Lost and Found Bookshop. Which I am glad I did. I absolutely loved it. It is better than I had anticipated. It has depth, and it is multi-layered with characters. Besides the draw of the story set in the bookshop, that got the hook in immediately. If this tells you something. The book is a keeper. I don't usually keep my books. I give away to people. 

 Natalie is not happy with her job. She has a boyfriend she is not too sure about either. Her mother was to arrive for a function for Natalie. She never shows up. She later learns her boyfriend who is a pilot was to fly her Mom. She never showed up. Natalie of course was disappointed.

 She later learns later a tragedy occurred. Her mother and boyfriend were in a plane crash and didn't survive.  There is a hitch to the story of course.  Her mother owns a bookshop, and her grandfather lives with her. He is not in good health.   She leaves her job to take care of her mother's bookshop, try to straighten out her mother's estate, and care for her grandfather. The complication is her grandfather doesn't want to sell, he is the owner. I don't want to spoil anything else.

The book is wonderful. I definitely will read other books by the author, and try different genres. I also think there are books in women's fiction that are light, and some have a bite, and give meat to the book. The book is so interesting, the metaphors, and symbols, and parallels in the book make for interesting reading. For example, the carpenter finds antiques in the book shop that have been lost in the book for years. The book also tells the history of the Lost and Found Bookshop in San Francisco. Of course, there is a family connection to the earthquake and the Bookshop. It is amazing, how the author weaved the story with the history of San Francisco and the characters. How she was able to write the story with the lost antiques, was so amazing. It didn't feel contrived. The book also has names of books the author loved and weaved into the book as well.  I plan to discuss this book for a book pick for our book club next year. The author also has a website with book discussion, and guide already up. 

On a technical note. I would like to apologize. Blogger has changed their blogging site. I was having a difficult time writing this post. I hope to get the bugs out soon. Thanks for reading, and hope you will continue reading my posts. 

  

 

 


 

 

No comments: