Sunday, September 26, 2021

The Turnout: Book Review






The Turnout
By Megan Abbott




I have only recently started reading the genre, suspense. Originally I was bored. The book didn't pull me in. I was ready to give up. I'm glad I kept on 🚚. After 100 pages that's when the story picked up and the pages flew. Wow, it grabbed me up to the last word.

I didn't care for the sexual tension and innuendos. I'm sorry I'm such a prude. Forgive me I'm middle age. There were times I had to read back a couple paragraphs to make sure I read, what I thought I read. There were parts that were appalling to me. How an author got away with writing some sickening parts about the family( the worst you can think of with a family). Worse than incest. That's all I will say. But, The rest of the book was terrific.

Marie, Dara, and Charlie died in a tragic car accident all in their 30's.  Dara is married to Charlie and they all live in their parent's home after their parent's death.  Charlie had no family, and Marie and Dara's parents took him in as a teen. There are secrets, and more secrets revealed in the story about their parents, and themselves they don't want to come to light. Some of it so horrible( I was surprised the author though it was appropriate- personally I didn't(freedom of speech). Definitely not appropriate for preteens, and teens. 



Now years later, they own, manage a ballet studio. Marie lives in the upstairs studio. During the night a fire starts and damages the studio. They have no choice but to hire a contractor, Derek. Marie gets involved with him. He is a devious, slimy person. He rubs Dara the wrong way. There is something underneath the arrogant, no-good Derek. As she digs deeper and deeper the suspicions start to come to light. Then a confrontation, murder, and cover-up

. A suspenseful, finger-tingling, pin needles kind of book. I loved it except for the sex scenes. I didn't think it was needed in the book. Also the title of the book has a interesting, significant meaning in the book, Turnout

 I love ballet. I loved the walk-through into ballet life. Reading about ballet class until it breaks you to becoming a professional.

" It's a dancer's body opening itself to the audience, their mother told them. The moment you achieve it. You become a dancer, you become a woman.
 
photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: