Friday, March 4, 2022

Fun Read: Reckless People by Rachel Hawkins






Reckless Girls
By Rachel Hawkins


How many of you pick up a novel for the cover art on a book? I am guilty. I love the vibrant colors, the artwork is magnificent. The title tells you all you need to know.  

 Aren't we tired of the snow, and freezing cold already?  Are you looking to escape to the tropics?   Let's go armchair traveling to escape.  Well if you are, Reckless Girls is for you. . The book of course will grab you just on the artwork alone. Once you get past it. The synopsis will make you intrigued as well. 

I am so tired of domestic thrillers. So to find Reckless Girls was a treat. I find Domestic thrillers seem to follow a certain formula. Which it is not my cup of tea. Reckless Girls was different.  I just loved it. I can't give it enough praise. 

 The novel is not literary, it's an escape novel with a gothic feel. I took the book for face value and rushed through it. Thank goodness, I'm retired. I was up all night till 4 am reading the novel. I see this as a movie reeling out in my brain. 

  If you are looking for a satisfying read for the escape, and a good rush, then the book is for you.  Is it believable? No Is it realistic? No,  Is it original? Yes,  Is it an adrenaline rush?  Yes. If you like a book that is realistic. It is most likely not your cup of tea. But, if you are looking for an escape on the tropics from Hawaii. The book will be a fun novel.  And of course, it is a beach read. A great book to read for the summer. Picture blue oceans with palm trees, sandy beaches, tropical trees, and skeletons. 

The writing is interesting. I don't think I have read a book with the author's writing style.   The author does a magnificent job going back and forth in time. Giving us little bread crumbs as clues. You don't realize it's coming. It hits you in the head and you have an aha moment. 

Lux and her boyfriend, Nico are living in Hawaii.  Nico works on boats, and Lux lost her job. They are having financial problems. When finally the last straw. Nico's boat goes out of commission. An opportunity falls in his lap that will take their financial troubles away. Perfect timing two young women offer Nico a job neither Lux nor Nico can't say no to. They are willing to pay them handsomely. Lux agrees to tag along for the ride.  The two young ladies want him to take them on a vacation cruise to a small deserted island called Meroe. 




  To most everyone, it is known for a great summer getaway spot. It also has a reputation for shipwrecks, cannibalism, and has a dark and sinister feel to the island. This makes it intriguing to Nico, Lux, and the others. Nico and Lux decide to take the job offer. They get to the island and they are not alone.  Instead, there are two others on the island. So now, a total of 6 people are on the island. Then one more pops up. It's no longer a deserted island. The island actually becomes a bit crowded as you will see while reading. 

As they begin to befriend the six others. We realize while reading something sinister is happening on those pages.  The friendships turn into suspicions. Eventually, people start turning up dead. The picture-perfect vacation of the six strangers is not what it seems. 

There are hidden secrets on the island as well as the private lives of the characters. There are so many twists, and turns, intrigue, and heart-pounding thrills almost to the end of the book.  It's a nonstop roller coaster ride. I can't recommend the book enough. 

I didn't expect what happened in the end. Of course, I'm not going to spoil it for you. I have not read Rachel Hawkin's previous novel. I plan on picking it up. I give it 5 teacups as a recommendation. 


















No comments: