Saturday, May 1, 2021

American Wife: Book Review



American Wife




American Wife
By Curtis Sittenfeld


I had suggested for our book club to read American Wife last month. The novel is loosely based on Laura Bush. The novel humanized her. Which I thought was fun at times. But, I couldn't stop being embarrassed at times. This is the first lady. I am sure everyone has dark secrets they want to hide. But some of it was very explicit. Do I really want to know how Laura and George had sex?? trashy, at times obscene, and embarrassing, it made me blush.  I don't usually read the books before picking( who wants to read a book twice!).

I was in the middle of reading, and only read a bit of the novel. I had planned to pick up the book and hoped to finish it in a week or less. That didn't happen. I read about halfway through. I only have another week to get to the next book. I just can't get back to it. It's been two weeks since I picked up the book. I would rather get to our next book club pick. 

I actually thought the novel was about Barbara Bush. I don't consider myself a prude. But, it was over the top.  Everything was made up. The scenes were so explicit. That is where I lost it. Not the storylines, but the descriptive scenes. Imaging Laura, and George, imagine Laura using foul language. I felt like I was invading their personal space. It was a very strange and uncomfortable feeling. 
I could understand George, as he is known in true life he was a drunk and an alcoholic. But, Laura?!

Once you get beyond just thinking it is about the First Lady. Just think of the novel as a trashy, beach novel with ordinary characters I could start reading. It is free speech in this country, but Wow! I wonder how her daughters felt about it. 

American Wife is the story about Alice and Charlie Blackwell. Alice has a lesbian Grandmother. She is a free spirit, and she falls in love and her boyfriend is killed in a car accident. Which Alice can't get over to this day. Alice finds out she is pregnant. Her Grandmother takes her to a clinic to get an abortion. She goes to college becomes a quiet, reserved librarian in the school system. She meets Charlie from a rich Minnesota family.....

 I was interested in was how Alice got around her liberal ideas while dating a staunch Republican.  I didn't finish the novel. I heard there is a surprise ending. But, I just can't finish it. At least not right now. I hope to get back and finish the rest. If I do I will write an addendum to it. 

If you like loosely based novels based on fact and trashy novels. If you are an admiring of the occupiers of the White House you most likely will be turned off. I had bought her newest novel about HRC. By the way, she published her newest novel about Hilary Rodham Clinton. That should be interesting. 









No comments: