Sunday, March 21, 2021

American Dirt: My Perspective

American Dirt
By Jeanine Cummins
My copy
















I originally purchased the book to join along with Oprah's Book Club. I even purchased Apple TV to join with the discussion.  I purchased the book, instead of a galley given to me like the past.  Because of Covid books are not given out freely as much as in the past.  

To begin  Lydia, Sebastien, and Luca, and Lydia's many family members(16 cousins, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandmother, and husband are outside in the backyard). They are celebrating one of her family member's birthday. Everyone is outside, except for Lydia, and Luca. Inside Lydia, and Luca is in the bathroom when they hear shots. All sixteen family members are shot and murdered. 

Sebastian and Lydia are husband and wife. They live in a middle-class suburb in Mexico. Lydia owns a book store. Her husband, Sabastian is an investigative reporter. The newspaper he works for runs a controversial story. A clean-cut, elegant distinguished gentleman named, Javier comes into the store to buy some books. What leads to a stranger coming into the store. This leads instead to friendship and admiration for both of them. What we realize later the friendship is not what it seems. Lydia and Luca are forced to go on the run from Acapulco, Mexico to the U.S. Border. After the murder of her family. They are forced to run. 

There are many dangers along the way that Mother and son must face. They must learn to trust people that are strangers. Are the strangers going to give away their secret to the Cartel, or to Javier who is still searching for them. Or do they have to trust people? Some of the people they encounter are murders, rapists, The Cartel.






The worst part of the travel is riding, La Bestia. It is not a passenger train. It is a long train that Lydia and Luca must travel. They ride on top of the trains with hundreds of migrants. Where the Cartel is seeking to take advantage of migrants attempting to get to the US border.   Criminals seek them out for money, robberies, rape, murder, and torture.  Luckily, Lydia and Luca befriend two sisters along the way. 

I already gave my thoughts before I finished the novel on Facebook before I finished the novel.  I personally didn't care about the book. But, I think that is because I already knew what is happening in South America. and the border

. I was hoping to learn something new, and a different perspective that I wasn't aware of.  That didn't happen. The book seemed to be whitewashed, Americanizing the migrant story for the American audience's taste.  The characters were one-dimensional without any depth to the characters. 

I think there are two things happening here. Flatiron Publishing was excited to get the book out there to the American public. Because the publisher knew the book would sell like hotcakes because of the migration issue at the border.The cultural issues, and our politics, and the divisiveness in our country. But, also Oprah's brand would sell. 

About seven years ago. I had been seeing book bloggers writing they wanted to see more diversity from the publishing companies. Not enough books were written about cultural differences. Then low and behold, during the Pandemic, something started shifting. Authors from different cultural backgrounds were writing books, Celebrity book clubs were paying attention and reading diverse books. 

I had gone into book stores with diverse authors. But, still, the Latinx authors were still being ignored. I don't see enough publishers making any changes. But, I do see a market now for Black authors finally. Which is a good thing. I wish to see more authors from diverse cultures. I don't see any changes from publishers in the Latinx community or the Native American authors and the many other diverse cultures represented in books. 

Another thing that has been brought up is authors should not write about something they don't have any experience in. I used to think that way because I am Jewish. It used to upset me when I would see non-Jewish authors write about the Orthodox community. Because the Orthodox community is not inclusive. I don't totally agree with that argument any longer.

  At least someone is talking about it. People are discussing it. If it opens conversations that wouldn't have been discussed. I am open to it. Talking about it will lead to other authors, including Latinx authors publishing to the publishing houses. 


I would rather know what is happening in South American countries. Why Migrants are not being protected? And what the US is doing to try to change it? 

What added to the book was Oprah's conversation on Apple TV. Watching the Oprah Book Club enhanced the book. Even though I particularly didn't care for it. I learned much more about the border issue. Why people come here. They are not looking to live here. But, just a safe haven until it is safe to go back home.

 I like Oprah showing us what the border looks like. What the area looks like, etc. I think that enhanced the understanding. Even if you didn't read the book.  After reading American Dirt. I am reading Separated by Jacob Soboroff from MSNBC. He was the first person I knew who brought the issue front and center to the American public. What the government was doing to the families. 

I am now hoping it will enhance my understanding of the migration issue in South America to the US. I believe these people deserve a safe haven.  The migrants who come here are working actually are contributing to our economy. What is happening now to bring families back together? 











No comments: