Monday, February 22, 2021

Never Caught: Book Review









Never Caught
By Erica Armstrong Dunbar 
My own copy



I have been wanting to read Never Caught for months. I am glad I did. I found reading, Never Caught an interesting read. Not only the historical context. But, the cultural, social, historical, and psychological aspects of being a slave, and a slaveowner during the colonial period. 

Ona was a slave for Mr. and Mrs. Washington in Mt. Vernon. Pres. Washington had to re-locate to Philadelphia when he became Pres.

In Philadelphia, you could only have slaves for six months. The president found away around it. Swap out his slaves every six months. He would swap out his slaves from Mt. Vernon for his Philadelphia slaves. As there was a law in Philadelphia on restrictions of having your slaves in the city of Philadelphia. 

When the president was at his last term in office. Ona Judge enjoyed the life of a Northern slave. She saw more freedoms than living in Mt. Vernon. When she learned she, and the rest of Washington's family, and slaves were moving back. She knew she had to escape. She ran away to Portsmouth.

I was unaware of many facts as a slave in the United States. Either I wasn't taught or I wasn't paying attention. They say it's never too late to learn.

So, learning Presidents were slave owners was an eye-opener. Don't forget these were the times. No one knew any different to own or not own slaves. I recommend reading just learning about the difficulty as a slave, becoming free. The perspective of a slave owner was we take good care of you. Why would you run away? And our history lives on with the problem to this day.

I recommend, Never Caught to anyone who wants to learn history. But also experiencing the life of a slave in colonial America.



photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: