Wednesday, January 15, 2014

SPOILERS: Don't Read Unless Read Gone Girl






Gone Girl
By Gillian Flynn


This is probably one of the hardest novels I've reviewed..  But This is one book that is very controversial like Fifty Shades of Gray.  Gone Girl,  you want to discuss with everyone that has read it.  This is the reason I joined a book club and started a book blog to discuss books that make you think, and talk about books.

Nick and Amy are celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary. Amazing Amy disappears and who is to blame for her disappearance? Isn't always the husband?   It seems like the story was ripped from the front page of any newspaper in America. When the wife goes missing.  Where did she go? Is she alive or dead?

I am not going to fill you in the rest because I don't want to spoil anything. I did not know what this book was about from the start. I only knew of the hype, and a movie being made. Just recently I learned that the author is re-writing the ending.

From reading the first paragraph I should have known it was a book that was going to play head games.

When I think of my wife, I always think of her head. The shape of it, to begin with. The very first time I saw her, it was the back of the head I saw, and there was something lovely about it, the angles of it. Like a shiny, hard corn kernel or a riverbed fossil. She had what the Victorians would call finely shaped head. You could imagine the skull quite easily.
I don't know what made me have a love-hate relationship with this book.  Was it the characters of Nick and Amy? Was it that the author pulled you in. Made me think they were a loving, happy couple then in the middle everything is not what it seems.

 I felt like the author was playing head games, was deceitful, manipulative, and lied to us. Made us, the readers feel like idiots.  But, then I loved how she was able to get me all emotional, and angry.  This is one book that had my emotions all stirred up.

I thought it was interesting that the author used alternating chapters of Nick and Amy's perspective. Amy's was a diary, was she who she claimed to be? She was a poor little rich girl. But, then wasn't. Her parents were much to be desired. Only cared about themselves.

 Everything seemed to fall apart when both of them lost their jobs.  I think all the stressors caused their marriage to fall apart. Their marriage became toxic and deteriorated. Why she had to stage her disappearance, and instead talk to her husband.

I did not like any of the characters. I did not empathize with any of them.  Nick was just dumb and stupid.  Amy was manipulative and playing games, and wanted attention.  Not caring how she got it.  Half way through the book I kind of lost interest, and said to myself, " Enough already". After that I wanted to throw the book across the room.  I think I hated the book because of the characters.  I have hated books before, but not a love-hate relationship. books before,

 I think I just did not like the book because of how the book played head games with us. Really, do you think people are capable of doing this to their husband or wife, or someone they love? Do we really know someone we live with? Some couples when they first go out on dates with each other. They do pretend to be someone else.

Then at the end Nick seemed to be "wishy- washy", and then come on, he decided he wanted her back. The end was just ridiculous. I just thought to myself, both of them deserved each other. What was the purpose? What kind of ending would I have felt satisfied? I don't know but, not that ending.   Or do you think he may get  his just desserts?

 Any way that is my take, and now I can now move on to reading a normal book again. Any body read it? What was your feeling about, Gone Girl?  Tell me what you think?  You can see a literary event here it is almost two hours long.

 photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: