Friday, May 10, 2019

Book Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz





The Tattooist of Auschwitz
By Heather Morris

My Copy




Everyone has been raving about The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I originally didn't want to read it. I have read so many holocaust books.

I finally broke down and bought a copy. I broke down and picked it for our book club. I should have gone by my instincts. The writing style was very juvenile. I felt it was geared to young adult. But, because of the subject matter. The book was unrealistic. Even though the author says its true. I think the subject who she researched took liberties to build himself up.  I as a Jew don't feel he was a hero. Any Jew would feel the same way. He took advantage of the situation to work for the Gestapo. I feel he is a traitor to the Jewish people. He received favors because of his work. Would any Jew want to be in his place to save his life? I suppose so.

Our book club will be discussing the book this week. Just because a book is not a good book to me. Doesn't mean it won't be a good discussion. I can think of questions right on top of my head. Am I glad I read it, yes? Because it gave a perspective of someone working for the Gestapo. That is a different perspective of the many other books I have read. There are many good Holocaust books out there. I just don't think this is one I would pick up. My suggestion read Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, or Annalise who just published.

My rating is




No comments: