Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Love Mayor Pete: Book Review-Shortest Way Home


Related image




Shortest Way Home
By Pete Buttigieg



I remember the first time I saw this young man on TV. I didn't like him too much. I thought he was smug and conceited. I thought he was saying that the older folks don't matter. I thought he felt we were infallible and insignificant. After I watched him more and more at other town halls and TV appearances. I realized I didn't give him a chance. I like what he has to say. Mayor Pete as he likes to be called. Has lived in South Bend all his life in Indiana. He is a very intelligent young man. He is a Rhodes Scholar, He was in the Navy Reserves in Afghanistan. All at the age of 37. And of course, he is a Mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He has been elected two times. He is a gay man, happily married about a year ago to Chasten with two dogs.

Mayor Pete is well qualified with being a mayor and serving in the military. He seems to be believable, good character, good morals, honest, good character, well mannered, and humble.  After watching him more and more for the last few months.  I am behind Mayor Pete.

What else can be added that hasn't been said. He is magic to my ears. He is a breath of fresh air. He is very unique than the rest of the pack( up to 20 I think) He has a great love for his city, as mayor of South Bend.

Besides his political aspirations. There is a man. He is totally opposite of any politician I have heard before. He is genuine, he has character.

His religion does play a part in his genuineness. You can hear it when he speaks. He does not push his belief on others. Which is one subject I wish he wrote in his book.

He has demeanor without anger. Which is what attracted me to him at first.  Then the other qualities accentuated everything else. Besides at the age of 37. He is an old man living in a young man's body. Perhaps it has to do with his parents being academics, an only child.

He has all the traits our current president doesn't. He is college educated, Rhode Scholar, served as mayor in South Bend. Served in the Navy as a reservist for seven months. He also ran for head of DNC. All of this before the age of 40.

At the beginning of his book. I wasn't thrilled with the writing. He kept jumping around. Then after a while, he seemed to get his footing.

I enjoyed reading his book because he gave me hope for our country. I actually wanted to buy Audible to listen to his words, as well as reading. I felt it would have brought his emotions to his book.

 I have seen him in all the town halls since he has announced he is running for president. I enjoy listening to his hope and aspirations for this country.

I am not only reviewing the book. But, also what I think of Major Pete. He can hold his own. He knows how to defend his character as well as what he wants for our country to lead as a young man.

At first, I wasn't thrilled with him. I felt he was isolated us older folks behind. Feeling like we were irrelevant. After I got past that. And realized that wasn't what his intention was. I was all in for Pete.

What he has is he is a young, innovative, data-driven, and new ideas, business-oriented young man. He worked as a data-driven consultant. Which I think will bring new ideas to government. I am tired of the old stuffy old men running our country. They are old fashioned and keeping us behind. Its time for a change. The old men think we think like they do, no! They are behind the times. (BTW, I'm in my early  60's).

The other subject, I don't sway for just to pigeon hole a person. If the person is a man, woman, gay, straight, African-American, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, etc. I vote for the person. If he can do a good job.

There are many more candidates I am leaning toward him, and Elizabeth Warren. I will see what others bring to the table in a couple of weeks.





No comments: