Monday, October 14, 2019

Book Review and Book Club: See What I Have Done




See What I Have Done
By Sarah Schmidt


Our book club discussed the novel, See What I Have Done for this month in honor of Halloween. The feel of the book did not feel natural. I don't know if it had to do with the author not being American. The book is about the murderer, Lizzie Borden. Most of us know or have heard of the jingle of Lizzie Borden.

I don't know what it is. But, I wasn't thrilled with the book. It was OK. But, not great. All of us in the book club didn't really like the novel. I was surprised because of the ratings most of the people commented on Goodreads.

Lizzie had a sad life. She sounded like she was a psychopath. Her family dynamics were challenging most of the time. Her father remarried after her mother died to her stepmother. They were very controlling people. The family was wealthy. But still, the family had old fashioned plumbing( outhouse), no modern conveniences. Her father was stingy. Her sister felt obligated to her clingy sister, Lizzie.

Lizzie found her parents dead. There were many coincidences. Or were they? Did she kill her parents? A couple days before her parents felt they were poisoned. Her dress had blood on it. Or was it paint like Lizzie said?  The author didn't write what happened after Lizzie was taken to jail. Just up to the time she was accused.

I did my own research and watched a documentary on youtube about Lizzie, and her family. It was very enlightening.

Most everyone thought she didn't murder her parents. Only one thought that she did. Most of us felt the writing wasn't great, and we didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought. I was very disappointed.
Oh well, on to better books. Our next book is Killers of the Flower Moon. Which I read, and loved quite awhile ago. I don't like picking books that I already read.











No comments: