Saturday, March 19, 2022

Disappointed: Book Review Migrations









Migrations

By Charlotte McConaghy

My Copy


Migrations, The time is in the near future.  Franny had a  life changing event since she was little. She could never stay in one permanent place. She has never had a family since the age of 11.  Franny is in Greenland to follow the last migration of the Arctic Tern in the world. Frannie is hoping to follow them to Antarctica. At the same time, she is following the Arctic Tern. She meets a crew of fishermen. She talks them into allowing her to take her on their fishing boat. She convinces them they would find the motherlode, fish.  If they follow the Arctic Tern. While reading there are many mysteries about Frannie that eventually we find out about.  Which includes murder. Not just once, but twice. Franny's past catches up with her. Which causes complications with the crew. 

I am the moderator of my book club. I had picked the novel for our discussion this month. I have had the novel on my bookshelf since the release. The hype and anticipation were building up. I couldn't wait to dig in. The author is from Sydney, Australia. She isn't a scientist. She is a YA novelist.  She is interested in the health of our planet. You will realize it as you are reading. As you will see scientific inaccuracies throughout the novel.  

The novel had a feel of dystopian mixed with here and now. I just learned something different. There is a sub-genre in literature for culture change. Its called Chi-fi, climate change, or what I actually like the term, environmental novels. 

The novel is different from other novels I have read. It has a dystopian feel. Not an actual dystopian novel. It was described as a Station 11, not true. I hate it when people are comparing books. Because most of the time its not a accurate comparison.  I was excited to read something different from a new author, and a different type of book. I had high hopes for the noveI felt like I was reading the wrong book. But, once our book club met. My book club felt the same way as I did. They didn't like it. Perhaps it is a generational thing. I think the novel had good reviews because of the politics. Not really reading the novel itself. But, actually like the book because of what the book stands for.  Not the writing style or the actual set up of the novel. They didn't like the many timelines either. 

The book had a good beginning up to the part when a crew member is drowning in a "Fgord". Right from there, I couldn't connect. It was too ridiculous and far-fetched. Why he was in the water. Spoiler, he was saved and his reaction is why you saved me. Was off the wall.  I like the novel when Franny was on the fishing boat with the others. It is a bit preachy at times. Trying to explain something about climate change that we are not aware of. I felt the author thought we were stupid. Then the hypocrisy of certain situations. It was unrealistic- protestors.

The main issue I had with the author, which the publisher could have done something about the different timelines.  There were just too many flashbacks. I couldn't keep them straight. It was too confusing. If I had a journal to write the different time lines.. As there were so many timelines to keep track of. One was four years ago, another twelve years ago, and so on...  I was trying to figure out which one are they talking about.. If I understood the timelines I would have been able to enjoy the book more  I was trying to figure out when the two murders were. I couldn't keep up what they were talking about. 

 Migrations, I didn't care about any of the characters.  Franny. I understand she had emotional problems.  She had no values, permanence, no stability, no redeeming qualities, no warmth,  Instead she relied on her instincts rather than common sense. Even the husband, Naile was too far fetched, as well as the crew. I was hoping to finally feel engaged.The novel had so much potential sadly it fell flat.. I had hoped there could be a few redeeming qualities of the characters. I didn't feel it anywhere in the book.

I liked the parallel lines between the migratory birds, and Franny's life. I understand it is what the author was aiming for. Their similariries between migration of the birds and Franny's life, no permanence, freedom, drifting, connections of family.  I was expecting more about the envoirment changes. The only thing was mentioned was no, or little animals. And the crops were decreasing. I wanted to read more about life in the envoirment. How it was affecting the characters.  The other problem there were too many holes the author didn't completely explain fully at each chapter. But, that may have been the problem with the different timelines. Author expected us to figure it out ourselves. 
 I wanted to really like the novel especially when Franny goes to Anartica following the birds. I expected more. 

I love reading fiction books that teach me something and force me to do my own research. After reading the book I realized I didn't know much about the Antarctic, and Antarctica, and the extreme cold countries such as Greenland, and Iceland. 

 Not knowing There are many documentaries on youtube you can find from National Geographic and others. But also the migratory birds, Arctic Tern.  And websites to be found here. How climate change has affected Antarctica and Antarctic. There are so many interesting facts about these locations. I am so amazed and sad at the same time about what is going on, in our planet dealing with climate changes. 
 
Even though I didn't like the novel I'm glad I read it. The book led us to have a long, and fullfilling book discussion. If you are in a book club you will know what I am talking about. When a book is not great. There usually is a good discussion. When everyone likes the book it usually leads to a poor book discussion. I still recommend the book. It has a lot to contribute. 

                                                                           


The migratory bird that is discussed is called the Artic Fern. It is a migratory bird. It lives for thirty years or so.  It is one of the only birds that migrate back and forth to the artic. They fly about three months. Then about a week they fly north when it starts warming up. The migrating pattern is unique. Some of the birds separate when they get to South America. 






No comments: