Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Snowman : Book Review



The Snowman
By Jo Nesbo
Ebook version

Bought by me

I bought this book on Ebook-nook version. The Snowman was out of my comfort zone. But I thought I would give it a try. Especially the reference of snow, would cool me down in the hot summer heat. I have not read any Steig Larson novels. It sounded very similar and decided to give it a try. Everyone was raving about his novels. I did see the foreign versions. I did not care for either, too gory, and too much violent sex. I thought I was missing something. Most of our book club members are in their 60's. Thought something was wrong with me, I have to give this one a try. 

Wrong: It was very gory, bloody, raw sex, and everything in between. I assume most books that are written in Europe are more open about this. It was ok, for them. But, this is just not my style. I would prefer a good old fashioned Agatha Christy Mystery anytime.

For now I am going back to my familar genre literary fiction next.

 It was about a story of someone is killing women with children at the first snow fall. Someone was leaving their signature, A snowman. Great time to read, about a snowman.  Get away from the Sweltering, sun of Myrtle Beach.
I had a difficult time following all the characters, their foreign names.  I think perhaps next time, I will write the names down and outline everything if I decide to read another book like this. The story did draw me in at first, but then after awhile I could not focus in. I had a hard time connecting with the characters. Hard time following the story, and understand what was going on.


Perhaps that was because of the un necessary vulgur language, raw sex,   It was heart wrenching, and heart pounding in the beginning. But somewhere I lost it. If you are intimidated by blood I would not recommend this book.   

Everyone has different tastes. This one just did not do it for me. I struggled through the entire book. Perhaps because I bought it and I wanted to use my Nook.

There is another mystery that I will plan to read this summer, called Sisters. Hopefully that one won't be so gory, and vulgar.

Now, at this time I am going to read a Beach Read,  I need a breath of fresh air. If anyone has read this I would, anyone care to explain to me parts I did not understand. leave a email.


1 comment:

Ann Summerville said...

I prefer cozy mysteries and like you aren't interested in gore and all that other stuff.
Ann