Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Midnight Library: Book Review




The Midnight Library

By Matt Haig





I had heard so much hype for the novel, The Midnight Library. Then, we chose the book for our book club  Our library still had holds on this book. I was anticipating a awesome read, wrong! 

The book was dull, predictable, and nothing spectacular in the writing. I realize now it is YA. I don't know if authors who write for younger audiences have a plain style of writing. As I don't read YA books. 

The Midnight Library is about a woman, who wants to die. She is unhappy with her life. She dies and is is transported to the Midnight Library. She sees the librarian she knew in school. 

 Mrs. Elm is here to help people to another life through books. You can go through as many books as you want. Here she learns about the Book of Regrets. And she realizes she can change her life. 

She transports to her old life her friend in Australia, a scientist, glacierologist, a rock band, then a new family. 

The novel was not impressive to me. It did make me think of my life and what I have gone through. Do I have regrets? Sure, at my age- middle. Therecis nothing I can do to change it. There is nothing I would want to change now. I lived my life. 

Yes, there are some things I wish my life turned out different. But, I don't obsessed over it. And get mad and try to rationalize my behavior. 

Perhaps a younger person likes the books as they can still change things. When you hit a certain age. As I'm retired. It's totally different. 

The only part I enjoyed is when then she traveled back to the library.  It was too philosophical for my taste. Too sentimental, and in your face life lessons. 

But, don't take my word for it. You may like reading YA novels. It was too predictable for me. I would have only read 50 pages and said enough. But, I was reading for our book club discussion.

 I just was reading, reading waiting for it to get better. As so many people raved about it. Unfortunately it didn't. 
photo POSTSIG_zpsbfb68bd5.png

No comments: